- 4-5 medium to large apples
- 4 tsp ghee (or butter)
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 4 tsp syrupy balsamic vinegar (we used espresso balsamic from a local shop)
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 12oz Coconut milk (or heavy cream)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
To make the apples-
- Peel and slice the apples as you would for an apple pie.
- Mix the cinnamon and cocoa powder with a pinch a salt in a small bowl.
- Melt the ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the apples to the pan and cook until softened. They should start to juice a little bit and make a nice syrup in the pan.
- Add the cinnamon cocoa powder mixture and mix with the apples.
- Turn off the heat and add the balsamic. Mix until combined.
- Spoon into bowls. Optionally top with whipped cream and coconut flakes (below).
- Pour the coconut milk or heavy cream into a bowl with the almond extract. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Toast the coconut flakes in a pan over medium heat. Once lightly browned (watch closely- they will burn pretty fast) remove from the pan and toss with salt and cinnamon. (from The Clothes Make the Girl)