The other week we found some delicious local apples at the farmer’s market and I couldn’t wait to try them in a crumble. Instead of the traditional white flour, sugar, butter crumble I set out to make a much tastier (and perhaps healthier) version.
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 8 apples sliced and seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg
- Finely pulse flax seeds and oats in a food processor or a bullet.
- Finely pulse walnuts in a food processor or a bullet. The walnuts tend to form a bit of a paste so it is best to process separately from the flax seeds and oats to make sure the flax seeds and oats turn crumbly.
- Combine flax seeds, oats, walnuts, flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Cut in the butter.
- Spread crumbs on prepared apples.
- Bake for an hour on 350.